One of my favorite ways to refuel after a workout is to drink a cold protein shake. There are so many different ways to make shakes and I think I’ve finally perfected mine! Protein shakes are a fun way to experiment – throw in new vegetables (I recently started adding cucumber), try a new flavor of protein powder (hello Quest Cookies and Cream!), or substitute water with unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk.
Below is one of the ways I make a post-workout shake.
- 7 ice cubes
- 1 cup skim milk (sometimes I use water, but usually use milk for calcium)
- 1.5 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 handful of kale
- Sliced cucumber
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 banana (frozen or ripe)
- 1/4 cup nonfat Chobani greek yogurt
- 1 scoop protein powder (I typically use Chocolate Quest Nutrition powder).
Oops – missing the banana and kale
- Throw everything in a blender, and BLEND!
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top for extra protein and fiber (and to make it more photogenic) 😉
I do switch it up sometimes. Every now and then I add a tablespoon of nut butter, PBFit, or even Chocolate PB2. Like I said before, I have substituted water for milk, though I prefer milk. You could even add in frozen strawberries or blueberries.
How do you make your protein shakes?