Resolutions/goals/habits for 2017
Well, it’s the start of a new year and you know what that means – NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS! Personally, I don’t mind the term “resolution”. I think if anyone is trying to better themselves then that’s great. But I also think “goals” and “habits” are other ways you can put it if you personally don’t like the word “resolution”.
Honestly, I’ve been making New Year’s resolutions for as long as I can remember, but up until 2015 I never actually followed through with them. For the longest time, my resolution was to lose weight. I would do really well until about the third week in January, and then completely fall off track and never hop back on. Whoops.
But in January 2015, I was registered for the Leadville Trail Marathon out in Colorado, and I knew I needed to put my goal into action or else I might not make it through the whole race, let alone get to the starting line! So, 2015 resolution: lose 25 pounds. Check! (If you didn’t see my post about how I lost 25 pounds, you can read it here.)
Last year, I set other resolutions/goals/habits to form, and was successful in some. Unsuccessful in others.
This year, I have made a list of habits I’d like to get into, some of which I’ll share (others are more personal).
- Read at least one book every month
- Try at least two new recipes a month
- Floss every night 🙂
We are five days into January and I’m going strong! 😉
Below are some tips I have for creating resolutions/goals/habits:
- Write them down and keep them visible. Personally, I like writing them in my planner so I see them every time I open it.
- Make them measurable! “Eat healthier” is a great goal, but how do you measure that? How do you know you’re eating healthier?! If you’re trying to cut back on soda, set a goal like, “drink one soda a week” instead of “drink less soda”.
- Surround yourself with people who support you. I am very fortunate to have a supportive fiancé, family, and friends. Seek out others who have similar goals as you.
- Make small, daily changes. Small changes everyday turn into habits, which turn into a lifestyle.
Do you have any resolutions/goals/habits for 2017? Do we have similar goals? Different? Feel free to comment below, email me at email@example.com, or message me on Instagram (@elizabeth_healthy_life). I hope you all have had a wonderful start to the new year!